· MERCY Malaysia or Medical Relief Society is a non-profit organization focusing on providing medical relief, sustainable health related development and risk reduction activities for vulnerable communities in both crisis and non-crisis situations.
· As a non-profit organization, MERCY Malaysia relies solely on funding and donations from organizations and generous individuals to continue their services to provide humanitarian assistance to beneficiaries, both in Malaysia and abroad.
· The organization is a registered society according to the Societies Act (1996) in Malaysia, and the headquarters is based in the capital city of Kuala Lumpur.
To date, MERCY Malaysia has over 500 members in the society and approximately 5,000 registered volunteers in its database.
· MERCY Malaysia was founded by Dr Jemilah Mahmood in 1999 in response to the conflict in Kosovo.
· Finding no pre-existing organization that could sponsor her to volunteer her medical services there, she and a group of friends registered MERCY Malaysia with the Registrar of Societies with the objective of providing medical relief.
· Working with Helping Hands USA, MERCY Malaysia then sent a total of five missions to Kosova to provide mobile medical care.
· That same year, MERCY Malaysia sent relief mission teams to Turkey in response to the 1999 Izmit earthquake.
For more info visit their official website :